Hey mommy!!! Here I am
in good old Texas. I love the weather, especially in the morning and at
night. We have gone on a few walks in the morning and it is not freezing
cold like it is in Mexico and in Utah. Its warm and it feels soooo
good. It gets pretty hot but i enjoy it...you know me :) I love the hot
and hate the cold.
It
is gorgeous here in the woodlands. It is basically what it is called.
The woodlands is just like a big forest with a ton of trees. And yes
there are houses that are HUGE. It is so pretty though. When
Hermana Carbajal found out I was from Spanish fork she started freaking
out saying that that is where her trainer was from and then I said well I
know a girl in my stake just got home and she was here and then we
pieced it together that she was the same person. It's pretty awesome :) I
love hermana Carbajal she is so patient and supportive. She is 27 and
she taught gymnastics, kindergarten, and preschool before she came out
on the mission. She helps me so much. Her mom is from Honduras and I
think her dad's family is from Spain. So she knows a lot of Spanish, she
nicely corrects me when I say something wrong and she is always telling
me how good I am doing when I speak in Spanish. I have a lot to learn. I
am really struggling to learn the tenses and all the many different
conjugations and irregular verbs but she told me the best way is just to
talk and listen to how people speak.
The
real missionary work is good. But it is crazy to think that these are
real people and not the fake investigators from the CCM. These are real
people with real lives and with real problems. We get up in the
morning, exercise, get ready and then we have personal study, comp
study, and then language study and then another companionship study. Then we have lunch and then go out to our appointments and contacting
people. We have a few lessons every day and we have a dinner appointment
every night. Most of the time they mainly talk to Hermana Carbajal and I
just listen quietly trying to learn spanish but the other night we had a
dinner appointment and she talked to me A LOT!! Also at stake
conference during the adult session we were talking to a bunch of people
afterwards and I think it was our bishop and his wife who started
talking to me and then hermana Carbajal went and started talking to
someone else. The bishop spoke some English to me but his wife kept
talking to me in spanish and I was really only catching a few words but I was able to put the sentences together and gather up the Spanish I
know and reply. The one thing that has taken a while to get used to is
that fact that when you meet someone or see anyone you give them a hug
and a kiss on the cheek. I am still trying to get used to it but I do
it like a million times every day so I will get used to it soon. Our goal is to contact 25 people a day. Yesterday we
kicked butt and stalked people in the parking lot because we needed to
find people and we got about 25 in a half hour. Unreal. We live in an
aparment complex. It is just the two of us. When we got to the apartment
she had decorated my desk and put a paper banner up that she had made
welcoming me to the apartment. She is really awesome we get a long
really good and I am learning a lot. My real address (for letters) is
26325 northgate crossing blvd #1621 Spring, TX 77373 They said they
would rather have letters sent to this address and other mail sent to
the mission home. Yes I am pretty sure all my boxes made it. Thank you
so much for the greenie package. I loved it :) very cute and I am
sending your email address to my companions so that they can thank you
as well. That was really sweet of you. I love you mommy :)
I'm
sorry our talk was so short I had also been crying, well I was
trying not to cry because I really wanted to talk to you but I didn't
want to have to wander around trying to find a calling card and then not
have any time. I was so thankful hermana Haslam and I found that couple
to let us use their phone. As soon as I heard you I couldn't hold it
back anymore and just started sobbing. There was so much I wanted to say
but I couldn't think of anything I was just so happy that I got to call
you. Just hearing your voice was really nice. I miss being able to talk
to you every day. We ended up giving that couple a book of Mormon at
the airport,. They wouldn't accept our pesos which we tried to give to
them saying we had no need of them anymore and so we decided to give
them a book of Mormon as a way to say thanks. I loved hearing Tate's
little Hello that he does. He is such a sweet heart. I was sad I didn't
get to talk to the to the other kids. We left late, got stuck in traffic
and then getting everyone through checking in luggage and security took
forever. And then we couldn't find our gate and then when we did, they
changed where our gate was. But those five minutes where so special to
me to be able to talk to you.
When
we were at the airport and when we had all of our luggage we were
walking towards the door and we saw the president and his wife standing
just outside of it. Some girls started crying but we all ran to the door
with our trolleys of luggage. Before we got to their house (mission president's) on wednesday
night we stopped at a church and had some snacks and then learned about
somethings. Then they told us that there were pillows in the chappel
and that we could all go and take a 30 minute power nap. So we all laid
on the pews and fell asleep for a little while. It was really nice to
be able to fall asleep. That morning and been so stressful and I was so
tired. After that we went to the president's house and had dinner and
talked about the mission and had interviews with the president. I love
them, they are really nice. At the hotel there were two of us to a
room, I went with hermana Provost. On thursday
we had breakfast at the presidents house, finished interviews and took
pictures of the group, and single pictures, and pictures with the
president. Then we got into the van and drove to the church where all
the trainers were meeting us. We were all so timid getting out of the
car and walking towards them. We had a big devotional and then us
newbies went into the other room to learn about some of the things that
we were going to be doing while on a mission and the trainers got a
training session. Then we met back together and the trainers would come
up and introduce themselves and then president would say who they would
be training. The girls all hugged each other when meeting their new
companion and the boys did a dramatic hug and it was so funny. Hermana
Carbajal has an amazaing voice. She studied opera for a few years a
while ago. She says she can't do it now but she used to be able to.
Hermana Woodard is serving in my stake. I saw her at stake conference
and she ran up and hugged me. Her companion hardly knows any english and
so she was really happy to see me. We talked for a while before and
after and then again on Sunday. I don't remember where hermana haslam is
but I think it is kind of far away.
We
use the computers in the library because the computers at the apartment
complex office don't work all the time. It was a pain trying to find a
spot to park. But we found one and here I am :) We are going to go to
the post office so I can mail the package that I have for you guys. I
wanted to buy you this chocolate candy bar called bueno bars that are so
good but they would have melted the first ten minutes. But there is
other candy for you guys and a few other things. I wrote about them in
the letter I put in the package. Then we will go grocery shopping to
get more food and then we are going to explore and walk around the mall
or something apparently nordstrom just opened and so she wants to go
check it out. We are going to hang out with some other sister
missionaries as well. It's so different compared to other p days at the
CCM. Then after 6 we will be contacting and teaching a few lessons and
having another dinner appointment. So far I haven't had anything bizarre
or too spicy. A few things are pretty spicy but I have been able to
handle it pretty well.
I am so glad that you
were able to go to the temple. I really miss the temple. The one here is
closed all of September and so I will have to wait till next transfer
to be able to go. I miss it!!! Keep going to the temple I know that it will bless you :) :)
So on Friday
hermana Carbajal was really tired and so we went home and she took a
small nap. We then went over the apartment complex called imperial chase
and we were going to go visit someone who lived there. He wasn't home
so we walked over to the next door and we met this 15 year old. We talked with him and he said his
parents are catholic and if they had opened the door they would not want
to listen but he is wanting to know more about everything and so we
stood on his porch and hermana Carbajal talked about the restoration and
we ended up giving him a book of Mormon! I could tell that he felt
something and I really hope he reads it. But he is leaving for Mexico on Wednesday
and doesn't know when he will be back so I don't know when or if we
will ever see him again but we planted the seed!! He gave us a hug when
we were leaving it was kind of weird but we didn't want to offend him so
we let him. He was so awesome. Then we left his house and we were
walking through the apartment complex and this little girl came up to us
and asked if we were Jehovah witnesses. We said no and she said her mom
wanted to talk to us so she went and got her and we talked with the mom
for a few minutes and we got down her information so that we can go and
visit her sometime. We then walked over by some stores and we met this
lady named Yolanda. Oh my gosh she is so amazing. She says she already
has Christ in her life. She is a praising dancer and a gospel singer but
we talked to her for a long time and she shared with us her struggles
but she has so much faith in Christ. She is so strong and she has been
through so many things we don't know how she does it. But she trust in God and has such great faith that everything is for good and that God is
leading her to something better. She sang to us one of her gospel
songs..which was really interesting to be sung to outside but man if she would just be willing to listen to the lessons and feel the spirit and
know that it is true she would make a fantastic member of the church.
She would be able to do so much good with the faith that she has.
If we hadn't had gone home and rested then we would not have met any of these people. It was a great experience.
So far while being here everyone we talk to is really nice haven't been harshly rejected by anyone.
I love this gospel with all my heart and I know that it is true. I am so
thankful for the things I have been able to learn and for the ability
to learn Spanish. I know that God will help me as long as I put my faith
in him and trust in him and work as hard as I can. I know that this
gospel is true and that Christ lives. I am so grateful for the small and
tender mercies that I have noticed in my life and in the lives of
others. I am so grateful to be here serving a mission. Something I never thought I would do. But I am so grateful to be here and to be able to
help be an influence in the lives of others. I love it here and I love
the people and I know that this is where I am meant to be. In the name
of Jesus Christ amen.
| Flight from Mexico City to Houston |
| Flight from Mexico City to Houston |
| Flight from Mexico City to Houston |
| Arriving in Houston |
No comments:
Post a Comment